Thursday 8 September 2011

My Mix Heritage

I come from a family with mix heritage. This means that gua boleh kecek a few bahasa. That line actually means that I can speak in a few language in Baba Nyonya dialect. On my mum's side, I have Chetti, Chinese Nyonya and a dash of British heritage. On my dad's side, I have Indian, Malayalam and Chinese blood. This means I am 75% of the total Malaysian ethnic. I can understand English, Bahasa Melayu, Mandarin Chinese, a bit of Tamil, Malayalam, Hokkien and Hindi. I can speak fluent English, Bahasa Melayu and basic Mandarin Chinese. This gives me a great advantage in life. Being a Malaysian, I'm pretty sure that most Malaysians are at least bilingual or trilingual people. All I'm saying is that languages are a great way to break the barrier. As my dad once told me, people in general are afraid of what they don't know or understand. I totally agree with that. Well, on the plus side, I'am a girl who love shopping and I literally have at least one traditional outfit from each ethnic in Malaysia. I have punjabi suits, sarees, cheongsams, baju kurung, kebaya Nyonya, kebaya labuh or known as kebaya Chetti and also a few Sarawakian etnic accesories. I have yet to purchase the Portuguese milkmaid outfit, Sarawak and sabah outfit and the Minangkabau outfit. I'm looking forward to increase my small collection. I'm very fortunate that I grew up with a 'rojak' background and I'll always be proud of my Mix Heritage... Lots of love... Till next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment